Front Page News
September 4, 2013
The Story Of Colonel Samuel Johnson
1765, a farmer from Hampton NH traveled to the “Northwoods” looking
for elevation and fertile soil. This farmer was the second person to
settle in Northwood and discovered what is now called “The Narrows.”
That first night was spent on a small ledge and in 1920 a bronze
plaque was secured at that location on Main St. This settlor was
Colonel Samuel Johnson and since then 10 generations of Johnsons
have grown up in town.
In 2010, the plaque was stolen for scrap metal and on September 17,
2013 at 6:30 pm the Northwood Historical Society and the Johnson
family will rededicate that spot with a new tablet made of stone. We
will meet on Main Street in the Narrows to unveil the new tablet and
then a program about the Johnson family will be presented at the
Community Hall at 7:00 pm. The Society is raising funds to go toward
the cost of the tablet which cost $750. If you’d like to contribute,
come to the program or contact Trina Carlson at 603-942-5616.
The Society would like to thank Gary Smith and Bill Marston for
creating the tablet and donating much of their time in its
production. Come and listen to the program about one of Northwood’s
first families. Refreshments will be served after the program.